Maryland To Malaysia

I have taken six weeks off from my work and my life in Maryland to follow my heart and dreams to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and my boyfriend. This is the day-to-day tale of my travels as I explore a new world and experience new adventures.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Snake Island Snorkelling-Cherating Day 4 August 3, 2007

That's right. Day four. Wasn't I only going to stay a couple of days and move on to experience other unknown adventures? I just couldn't seem to leave this place so I continue to experience unknown adventures in Cherating instead. Today's adventure started with Snake Island.


This was the first day in almost four weeks that I had actually set an alarm. I didn't want to miss snorkelling, and it had sounded as though they would wait for me if I didn't show up at 9 AM. That was worse then them leaving without me. I would rather feel abandoned then guilty. So I was determined to be there at 9, and I was there at 9. The rest of the village was sound asleep, but I was at the beach and ready to go on time. As I walked up towards the beach, I heard someone say hello. It was Nazri, our snorkel guide, sitting alone on the patio of a restaurant on the beach which turned out to be his sister's (I think everyone in this little village is related to each other somehow). I don't know why I was so stressed out about arriving on time. I had forgotten that Malaysian time is different than US time. In Malaysia, 9:00 means sometime before 10:00.



We were sitting on the patio for a while waiting for the rest of the party. Finally, Nazri's phone rang. Two of the four people were not coming. After a while longer, the other two hadn't shown up. I told Nazri he did not have to take me if they didn't show up because I was just tagging along. He said he would take me anyway because he had promised. I was struck by the ease of that rule. He didn't seem to wrestle with it, even knowing he would not make any money. It was his rule. If he promised to do something, he would do it. When I commented on this, he said that is how it was in the village. You give your word, you keep it. I haven't always been very good at that. I often try to figure out how to get out of doing something I said I would do. I thought, if I just accepted Cherating's rule "you give your word, you keep it", I would save so much energy. I decided to try that. I think I lasted 3 days, 9 hours, and 17 minutes after I got home. At least I tried...

Nazri went to gather the snorkelling party who were staying at my former chalet, Ranting. Of course, Nazri knew where they were staying because everyone in Cherating seemed to know everything that goes on in their little village. At least Nazri did. When I showed up at 9, he had said that he didn't think I was coming because someone had checkout of the Payung Guesthouse at 6 AM that morning. So either everyone know everything or I had a stalker. I really think it was the former. It reminded me of Mom back in St. Michaels. Nothing happens there that she doesn't know about. Anyway, back to the beach. Nazri came back from Ranting with all four people of the party. It was one man from Kuala Lumpur and three women, who I believe were his cousins, from Sabah. Sabah is part of the island half of Malaysia. Unfortunately, I can't remember their names, but the people were all very nice.



It was about a 5-10 minute boat ride to Snake Island. We were in one of those small fiberglass boats with an outboard motor, but it went fast and floated high on the wake. It had been a really long time since I had been on a small, fast boat like that. I loved it. It was so loud I could barely hear Nazri screaming touristy things behind me. The wind blew so strongly against my face that, if I hadn't had a natural smile on my face, the wind would would have forced one. I tried to take video and pictures but we were going too fast and jumping too much. I loved every second of it.

As we approached Snake Island, we saw that there was another group of snorkellers there from Club Med. We sputtered past their beautiful yacht in our little "ghetto boat". I know those Club Medders were jealous. We docked the boat on the beach (the yacht had to be anchored out farther from the island-hah!) and unloaded our gear. The island was lovely. It had just a small beachy area, but it had these huge rocks that were all worn smooth by the tides. They were each an abstract sculpture on their own. Together, they were a song. A silent symphony of the waves of water washing over them day after day, washing away their jagged edges and softening them for the world. Looking at them, I could hear it. I loved those rocks.














Once on shore, we walked to the top of the island (which is not high) and came down into another cove where no one else was. It was beautiful. The water there was also not crystal clear, but it was clearer than on Cherating Beach. We put our stuff down on a little ledge above the cove. I lingered on the ledge taking in the beautiful scenery while the rest of the party went down to the water to start snorkeling. When I looked down at them, I noticed that they were all snorkelling fully clothed. I figured this was a cultural thing so I wasn't sure what the appropriate thing to do was. Do I swim fully clothed as well so as not to offend anyone or is it ok for me to swim in my bathing suit? For guidance, I turned to my trusty guide who I am now beginning to consider a friend. Nazri said it was fine for me to swim in my bathing suit and pointed out that most of the Club Med swimmers were in swimsuits. He explained that the rest of our party "just weren't international". This meant that I was "international". Me! International! I swam in my "international" bathing suit.












As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am terrified of sharks. Prior to the trip and even in the boat, I had repeatedly asked about sharks. I was repeatedly told there were no sharks. Muda had told me the day before that there were no sharks in the sea also so I was fairly confident that there were no sharks. I say only "fairly confident" because we are talking about the girl who is convinced that there are sharks as far up the Chesapeake Bay as the Bay Bridge. Lacking a significant fear of sharks made snorkelling much more enjoyable. I swam around looking at pretty fish, diving down to look at coral, and just generally pretending I was a mermaid. It was pretty and water is my element. I swam back to shore when I heard Nazri calling me back. He told me he didn't want me to swim out too far. I told him I wouldn't, but either way, I was a good swimmer so I would be fine. Then he pulled the shark card. That's right. Shark card. He tells me there are sharks further out from shore. I thought he was joking with me, but he said he wasn't. I said "Saya tidak suka" which translates into "I no like". Well, the other four people thought that was hilarious. While I was so happy that I could amuse them with my vast knowledge of their language, I was extremely distraught by the new turn of shark events. After a short interrogation, Nazri promised he was not just saying that to keep me from swimming out too far. Instead of swimming out, I decided to swim around to the other cove and snorkel around the reef instead. Stupid sharks.












When I came back to our cove, Nazri said he would swim around the island with me, but we needed to stay close to the rocks because there were sharks in the water bigger than me. He told me not to be afraid. Little did he know that I had already formulated a plan to drag his little body between me and any toothy shark I saw. We made it around the island without any shark encounters. It was a small island so it wasn't nearly as difficult as it sounds. It was pretty though. Upon our return to our cove, we found the rest of the party sitting in the shallow water. I sat with them and talked a little bit. The man spoke very good English. Two of the women spoke English fairly well, and the third woman didn't speak much at all. They gave me a few tips on my Malay, and the man suggested I visit the island of Pulau Kapas. He said he would give me a name of a man who would give me good deals on everything. I couldn't believe I was networking in Malaysia when the idea of doing it in the US makes me break out into hives. I never made it to Pulau Kapas, but it was generous of the man to recommend it.












Nazri was taking the same group on a river tour that afternoon. He asked them if I could tag along, and they graciously agreed. We climbed on our little boat to head back to Cherating. Once on shore, we parted ways, agreeing to meet at 4:00 at the river dock. I walked over to Muda's for a banana sandwich and a Coke where I met another local who gave me another Malay lesson. It had been a fulfilling morning, and I was looking forward to my afternoon river adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home